The section Ethnography studies and presents in the form of exhibitions and displays the traditional culture of Sliven and its region. It possesses valuable collections of:
traditional costumes and clothing from the Sliven region. with its local and regional specifics. It displays festive and ritual costumes of the different ethnic groups.
Jewellery. It is an essential part of the traditional costumes illustrating the dynamics an the making and distribution of the common Bulgarian and local models and patterns.
Metal-ware - copper dishes, ironware, craftsmen's tools
Wooden figures;woodcarving - show the specifics and influence of the different Bulgarian woodcarving schools on the decoration of the houses in Sliven; craftsmen/s tools and equipment.
Traditional ceramics - common Bulgarian and regional pieces of earthenware.
The specialists from this department organise, hold and take part in the following events:
- annual complex expeditions for investigating the cultural heritage from 1981 to 1987, and in 1991.
- thematic expeditions - The historical and ethnocultural aspects of the so called "haidout" (rebel) movement in the region of Sliven i 1995, 1996, 2002, 2003.
- field research of the specifics of the traditional culture in the region of Sliven and its place in the contemporary cultural processes.
- As a result of their research work the specialists published papers on:
- crafts in the Sliven region
- clothing and materials in the Sliven region
- festive and ritual system
- ritual folklore -folklore and history
- folklore and the modern times
Two specialists - and ethnologist and a specialist in folklore - work in this section.